Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Yamaha R-N602 Switches itself off

pietpetoors

My Yamaha R-N602 switches itself off. It is intermittent, thus difficult to find the problem. Took it to a repairer a while ago and they said nothing wrong. Got it back, was fine for 3 weeks, then started again. Now I cannot even listen to one track then it switches off.

Error log says it is loss of power.

I checked solders on power relays and I checked connections, still the same. That is as far as my electronic knowledge goes.

When you switch power button on you will hear soft click of relay. After 5 seconds you will hear a louder click of another relay. If you switch off with remote you also hear the louder relay click. Switch on with remote, you hear soft click and 5 seconds later the loud click.
Now when it switches off by itself it is the louder relay I hear clicking. When it switch off by itself the reaction is exactly the same as when you switch it off with the remote.
Seems many Yamaha users with different devices have the same issue. I did update the firmware to the latest as this is one of the possible causes I read so far.

I have a Yammy R-N602 which so far is behaving itself. But I would day this is definitely a power issue of some sort, something in the power supply is not too kosher.

I will do some googling to see if I can find anything about this.

-F_D

This is a reply I received from iFixIt:

"Hi!
I have fixed two R-N602 with the same problem.
The main circuitboard was broken.
Look at the board that is just close to the heat sink if it is broken."

Pieter, can you reply directly to that post in the link above?

-F_D

Best is you open her up and look at the main PCB next to the main heatsink and see if it is maybe broken as Eric said.

The original poster has posted the solution of his problem on iFixit:
---
On my RN-602 The Temperature Sensor (IC) was open.
Look for a small board touching the heat sink (LM19 2.4V, 10μA, TO-92)
I dint replace the transistor, I just bypass it by jumping (+Vs 3.3vdc et V-out)
You also need to do a reset.
While pressing DIMMER and PRESET buttons, press the power button to activate the self drag mode.
Full drawing here.
Yamaha R-N602 Manual
Hope this helps you.

Block Image

---

Please keep us updated Pieter, my N602 has not problems yet but I will certainly bear this topic in mind should it happen!

-F_D

I Checked the PC Board. I resoldered the legs of those square black things with the 3 legs which attach to the heat sink. One of them looked as if the solder do not attach to the pc board when it melted. I added some extra solder until it looked better. Resoldered anything which looked dodgy.
After I switched it on, after about half an hour, it made strange sounds, like a disturbance through the speakers. I switched main power off and after a minute on again. It worked the rest of the evening. This morning the USB went into a folder, see a track but did not start playing the track. So I switched off the mains and and after a minute on again. From there on it has been playing well and so far without switching off. Been 8 hours now and it is still on.

Good to hear this Pieter, the lead-free solder is probably the root cause. I am not a fan of it at all, I prefer the old-fashioned leaded solder, it seems to just be less troublesome.

-F_D

Pieter, you might want to consider the reply from iFixit that I quoted above in post #9. The Temp-sensing IC might well be the problem.
Have you tried resetting the unit?

-F_D

My next step will be the post above, BUT. After it switched off, I switched off the mains, switched it back on and it has been playing since then, 1 hour now. Between switch off and resume playing probably 40 seconds. So if it was heat related it should have switched off again by now.

In the post Eric refers to above the guy said "I just bypass it by jumping (+Vs 3.3vdc et V-out)"
Below are pics of that board. I can see the one marked 3.3 but which one will be the V-Out ?

Attachments

• amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 3
  • amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 3
Back