Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

What's on the Turntable

dsotm.jpg

Have not played any music for a long time but today I have some spare time. First up is LP that is now already 50 years old and more, a first edition, 1973 UK Harvest pressing of Dark Side of the Moon. It's old and the surface is shod, but man, the dynamics and bass are unbelievable. I will probably frame it and hang it on the wall, next to my MFSL copy of Crime of the Century, which I ruined years ago, and Sara K's Water Falls, a factory mishap. Long story of what happened to COTC and WF that they are now on my Album Wall of Fame...

What locally available pressing of DSOTM would you recommend that will be close to the original? I remember the 2004 version was highly recommended.

View attachment 5751

Have not played any music for a long time but today I have some spare time. First up is LP that is now already 50 years old and more, a first edition, 1973 UK Harvest pressing of Dark Side of the Moon. It's old and the surface is shod, but man, the dynamics and bass are unbelievable. I will probably frame it and hang it on the wall, next to my MFSL copy of Crime of the Century, which I ruined years ago, and Sara K's Water Falls, a factory mishap. Long story of what happened to COTC and WF that they are now on my Album Wall of Fame...

What locally available pressing of DSOTM would you recommend that will be close to the original? I remember the 2004 version was highly recommended.
I have a new 180g pressing. No regrets this side.

michaelcard.jpg

This was a R70.00 purchase at a recent vinyl fair, Michael Card's Present Reality. Amazing recording and pressing for what would have been a relatively small Christian/Gospel market.

1719071369659.png

Blue Öyster Cult – Cultösaurus Erectus.
Columbia – JC 36550.
Vinyl, LP, Album, Pitman Pressing
US, 1980.

“So, as far as BOC albums are concerned, it may not be the most essential of their works, but I find it to be one of their best, maybe their most enjoyable, and an important album in re- establishing BOC as a band to be reckoned with, at least through the early 80s. For prog- heads not convinced the band belongs here, seriously, listen to Monsters. That’s some heavy prog-heaven right there.” Prog Sothoth.

Patti Smith – Dream Of Life.
Arista – ASTC 206.
Vinyl, LP, Album.
South Africa, 1988.
This album may be more polished, more accessible and
more main stream than her (much) earlier 4 records, but
I personally prefer her earlier “poetic ramblings” to this one.
Still, one to have in your library if you are a Patti Smith fan -
and I certainly am.

1719158178035.png

The Sisters of Mercy
A Slight Case of Overbombing
Greatest Hits Volume One
Warner UK 1993

20240708_212533.jpg

Linkin Park
One More Light
Warner US 2017

20240708_220651.jpg

Every track on this album is a cry for help. How nobody saw it coming is beyond me. RIP Chester.

Back