Welcome to South Africa's Audio Visual community!

Welcome to the home for South African audio and visual equipment owners and enthusiasts. Whether you are an audiophile or a hobbyist, feel welcome to join us in the exciting discussions about amplifiers, turntables, receivers, speakers, projectors, screens, restoration and new projects, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and so much more!

• The image upload funtion has been upgraded! Enjoy!

Portable BT Speaker Recommendations?

Cowboy

Administrator
I've recently moved to a new place where my studio (garage) is no longer connected to my office. I have got a small desktop Yamaha amp / receiver, some KEF eggs and a sub that I can use to play music in the garage, but... it gets very dusty in there and I don't fancy having the desktop system set up inside that space. What I would really like is a decent BT speaker that is portable.

I've heard the JBL Flips and they seem to be perfect for my intended use, but being the paranoid old git I am I worry about lifespan of these new fangled things, so I am hoping some of you will offer some insight and possibly offer some alternatives I should consider. Would love one of the Bose Sounddocks but I don't think those are around anymore (and will probably be out of budget).

Heard one of these Marshall speakers over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

I have a B&O speaker which is excellent but they are pricey.

I’ve had a JBL flip in my garage for gym workouts for over 5 years, it’s either in the garage 99% of the time or in the garden if I’m training outside. it gets dusty (I don’t think I’ve ever wiped it with a cloth) and hasn’t given a spot of issues at all since taking it out the box

Heard one of these Marshall speakers over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

Looks like a good price! I wonder how this compares with the JBL Flip sound wise? I will do some research - thanks for the recommendation.

OK, now I am concerned about the link to that Marshall website above. That same product is R6779 at takealot but only R1160.97 at this other outlet? There are a number of scams happening on Facebook of late where the scammers are duplicating legit websites and putting ridiculously low prices of items on there to lure people in. Hmmm...

OK, now I am concerned about the link to that Marshall website above. That same product is R6779 at takealot but only R1160.97 at this other outlet? There are a number of scams happening on Facebook of late where the scammers are duplicating legit websites and putting ridiculously low prices of items on there to lure people in. Hmmm...

yet that is supposedly the marshall site..
seems to be a lot of strange pricing - for example the woburn is at R 1,770 on that site, but is r 12,899 at tal.
so either a rather large pricing error, or a fake site?
may be worth taking a chance??

[edit] i see now that the site is a .com site, not .co.za. maybe means it is likely a scam?

Ya, I was also thinking that there is something amiss there. Even with their published 50% discount the pricing is way off the reality.

I'm fairly certain it is a scam site.

Could very well be a scam site. Have not used it and that is what came up on the Google search for that speaker. Approach with caution

My son has one of the Acton range and quite happy with quality.

What is your budget? I am a JBL fan. I have a Flip 5, an Extreme 2 and a Partybox 100 for various uses and purposes. The Flip 5 (now Flip 6) is great, mine is still going strong and sounds great for its size. I regularly travel with it. I have not listened to the Marshall BT speakers yet.

Also consider Ultimate Ears

The "www.marshallsouthafrica.com" site is fake!

Look at Takealot and iStore SA etc, you will see the Marshall prices are in line with each other.

Thanks for the input. I am happy to pay the asking price for a new Flip 6, which is R2300 I understand. But first I need to sell off my desktop system, so I need to list that soon. It will be a Yamaha receiver, KEF eggs and a JVC sub. I'm having doubts about selling these, but I really don't have a use for them anymore.

Reactions: LAV
Howsit Cowboy

I would second the above Marshall suggestion to seriously consider and go listen to.

Benjy Mudi was playing music via his cellphone connected to a Marshall portable unit at the recent vinyl Faire. I was certainly impressed by the balanced sound and how composed that little unit sounded. He played a wide variety of music and at different recording/ mix quality.

He said he bought it 7 years ago and I don't know the model no and what it cost though.

Ciao
Grant

Howsit Cowboy

I would second the above Marshall suggestion to seriously consider and go listen to.

Benjy Mudi was playing music via his cellphone connected to a Marshall portable unit at the recent vinyl Faire. I was certainly impressed by the balanced sound and how composed that little unit sounded. He played a wide variety of music and at different recording/ mix quality.

He said he bought it 7 years ago and I don't know the model no and what it cost though.

Ciao
Grant

Unfortunately the Marshall speakers are quite a bit more expensive than the JBL Flip, otherwise I'd have certainly considered getting one. This is really just for use in my garage, so not looking to get anything that I'd sit down and listen to with intent.

I've recently moved to a new place where my studio (garage) is no longer connected to my office. I have got a small desktop Yamaha amp / receiver, some KEF eggs and a sub that I can use to play music in the garage, but... it gets very dusty in there and I don't fancy having the desktop system set up inside that space. What I would really like is a decent BT speaker that is portable.

I've heard the JBL Flips and they seem to be perfect for my intended use, but being the paranoid old git I am I worry about lifespan of these new fangled things, so I am hoping some of you will offer some insight and possibly offer some alternatives I should consider. Would love one of the Bose Sounddocks but I don't think those are around anymore (and will probably be out of budget).
A bit late but,
rather go for the JBL charge, think the latest one is the charge 5, much better sound than the flip.

Back